Leaders Credit Union is a member-owned financial cooperative. This means that we exist to serve the needs of the consumers who own accounts at (or shares of) Leaders Credit Union. They are our owners, and their financial well-being is at the heart of every decision we make. We are one of the largest credit unions in West Tennessee, and one of the most stable. Our purpose is simple: to provide a sound, convenient alternative to traditional banking.
Our Mission is to provide the highest quality financial services at the lowest possible cost to our members while maintaining the safety and soundness of the credit union.
We will be recognized by our members as a leader in service excellence. Our focus will be on meeting the changing financial needs of members through partnerships with the individual member, families, and the community. We will become the financial institution of choice for the members we serve.
Our Core Values
Our team members who serve you are asked to adhere to a specific set of core values. These values should govern all decisions that are made when serving your needs as a member. These values are:
Be good: this value is listed first because it dictates the ability to achieve the ones that follow.
Show up: even on the days when doing so is tough, we believe that the simple act of arriving is a very important aspect of one’s character.
Work hard: “If it were easy, it wouldn’t be called work.” We ask our team members to give all they can toward serving our members.
Don’t quit: For over 60 years, our members have been loyal to us, and we ask our team members to return that kindness by delivering on their commitment to serve.
Awards & Recognition
Leaders Credit Union is one of Healthiest Credit Unions in the U.S.
Each year DepositAccounts.com evaluates the financial health of every federally insured credit union in the United States – more than 6,600 total. Each institution is graded on a number of factors, including capitalization, deposit growth, and loan to reserve ratios, in order to determine a comprehensive health score. From the list of 6,600 credit unions, DepositAccounts.com recognizes those who have shown exceptional fiduciary responsibility and awarded Leaders an "A" health rating!
Leaders was awarded by the Jackson Sun's Readers' Choice as the "Best Place to Bank" for the fourth consecutive year and as the Best Mortgage Company for 2017!
We want to thank all of our members who voted with the Jackson Sun's Readers' Choice Awards, because you chose us as the Best Place to Bank in 2017! We take service excellence very seriously, and your feedback has reaffirmed what we hope for every day: Leaders Credit Union truly is the best banking option for all West Tennesseans.
How strong is Leaders Credit Union?
We are ranked in the top 10% of the strongest credit unions in Tennessee according to Callahan and Associates, a respected source of financial institution analysis and reporting.
In 2017, our independent internal auditor found that Leaders Credit Union has an excellent investment mix and that the balance sheet is very well planned. It was also noticed that there is very little risk to our balance sheet.
Independent rating agency Bauer Financial has given Leaders Credit Union multiple consecutive quarters of 5-star ratings. A five-star rating is the highest rating any financial institution can achieve. You may visit Bauer's web site to view our rating.
Independent rating agency Weiss Ratings gives Leaders Credit Union a rating of A! This puts us in the elite credit unions nationwide and makes us one of the strongest credit unions in Tennessee! To view our ratings, visit Weiss Ratings.
The NCUA, an agency of the U.S. Government provides the insurance on members' accounts through the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF). To find out more about federal insurance for your credit union accounts, click here.
Located in Jackson, Tennessee, Leaders Credit Union was established in 1957 under the name Jackson-Madison County Teachers Credit Union. It was established to provide area teachers a convenient way to both save and borrow money.
In 1996, JMCTCU became Leaders Credit Union, to better reflect its expanded membership base which includes healthcare, communications, and education.
With $340 Million in assets and over 45,000 members strong, Leaders continues to provide the most comprehensive products and services to its members.
- 1957 Five Jackson educators gather in a local elementary school and decide to begin a credit union. Each teacher contributes $5 into a cigar box, and Mr. Paul K. Sutherland keeps a ledger. The Credit Union receives state approval and operates out of the school ticket booth.
- 1971 The Credit Union receives articles of incorporation from the state.
- 1979 Mr. Sutherland resigns as Manager. Jim Davenport resumes him. The Credit Union operates out of a house on Tucker Street in Jackson.
- 1983 The members and board of the Jackson-Madison County General Hospital Employees' Credit Union vote to merge with the Credit Union.
- 1985 The members and board of the Jackson Sun Employees' Credit Union vote to merge with the Credit Union.
- 1990 Todd Swims, our current President and CEO, takes leadership of JMCTCU.
- 1993 The Credit Union opens its first retail branch location at 90 Directors Row in Jackson.
- 1996 Members approve a recommended name change from Jackson-Madison County Teachers' Credit Union to Leaders Credit Union. The name reflects a broadening field of membership in West Tennessee.
- 1998 Leaders opens its largest branch location to date on Oil Well Road in Jackson. This banking center still accounts for the majority of our monthly transactions.
- 2003 The members and board of CECO Employees' Credit Union vote to merge with the Credit Union.
- 2007 Leaders celebrates its 50th anniversary. Shortly thereafter, the Credit Union reaches a major milestone by crossing $100 Million in assets.
- 2010 The members and board of Porter Cable Employees' Credit Union vote to merge with the Credit Union.
- 2011 The members and board of Peoples Choice Credit Union vote to merge. This marks the first fixed asset merger for Leaders and our first expansion out of the Jackson market. Leaders continues to serve our members in Union City, TN.
- 2013 The members and board of Sears Federal Credit Union vote to merge with the Credit Union. This is our largest merger partnership to-date, and we now serve members in Bartlett, Tennessee.
- 2017 Leaders celebrates 60 years of service in West Tennessee and reaches the milestone of $340 million in assets serving 45,000 members. Leaders also expands into Gibson County and breaks ground on a new branch in Milan, TN.